[Zope] Prerequisites for a desktop IDE, or any desktop app w/ Zope

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Fri, 25 May 2001 01:08:57 +0200

sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:
> I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by an application as a toolkit?

I don't say why you say this: Below, you prove that you do understand me.

> That doesn't make sense to me: function libraries are toolkits; class
> libraries are toolkits.  Running all this within an app sounds like the
> functional equivalent of running GW basic code under DOS on a 8086: you are
> forced to run apps inside an interpreter, there is no runtime, and this is
> not transparent to the user.  Why force this kind of complication?  To
> produce an IDE that won't create standalone applications, let alone ones
> that use simple, freely available toolkits?
>
> FYI, Inprise EULAs forbid creating competing products; for example, during
> the days when Borland marketed Paradox, they explitly forbit Delphi
> developers from using the BDE to create general-purpose database app
> workalikes to Borland products.

This is what I meant: If it is forbidden to do this, than you can trash
my proposal.

> Anyway, this is making the problem more complex than it needs to be; the
> only value Kylix has is as a RAD tool; it has no value for creating toolkits
> for development without the closed RAD tool, so what's the point?

The point is that creating the RAD tool would be not so hard.
But if it isn't allowed, there is no point.

Well, but what is a competing product? Is a free tool a competition to
a product which has to be bought?
And I'm not going to write a competitor for Kylix, just a general GUI
framework. The programming language is pure Python. Hee, hee.

ciao - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@tismer.com>
Kaunstr. 26                  :    *Starship* http://starship.python.net/