ZEO Client space was: [Zope] Prerequisites for a desktop IDE, or any desktop app w/Zope

Fri, 25 May 2001 09:06:30 -0700

This makes a lot more sense now; Your client just 'borrows' Zope security
mechanisms, and uses them; your GUI platform is Zope with a new UI.  In the
case of an IDE, this makes sense.

The security thing, though, is still a concern, because in a typical
enterprise application, you want to be able to grant differing levels of
trust and privileges to certain folks; and if they all access the same ODB,
what (for example, in the case of an enterprise KM portal) prevents a clever
user (let's say, a Python programmer in the company's IT dept) from being
able to bypass the client security mechanism and get access to HR or payroll
data that he/she is not supposed to see?

You could do host-based security, use a firewall, and limit access in
certain ways, but this still won't get you what you need.  You could use
encryption, but the issues are still the same.  In most RDB-based client
apps, a client libraries are set up on the users' machines by company IT
staff, who set passwords for certain types of access; control over
authentication mechanisms happens on a server, which is under control of a
restricted group of people.

I guess, if you are just looking for applications that access data and call
methods written in Zope, XML-RPC would still be ideal, and have the security
features that would be needed.

There is another advantage to using XML-RPC: XML transactions can be
brokered.  Suppose we are trying to create a newspaper editorial CMS-like
system, which stores news stories for different "desks" at a newspaper:
['news', 'features', 'sports'].  You have a diverse web farm of 6 nodes,
composed of 3 clusters ZEO clients (2 machines each, all nodes access a
single ZSS); each of these ZEO groups handles content and databases for each
"desk."   All of these desks access content through XML-RPC from fat
clients.  In this case, we want to be able to create a single virtual server
out of these; use a product like an Intel 7210 XML accelerator, and you can
loadbalance+direct traffic to the correct server by creating some XPath
queries of the request XML to see what database they are trying to access,
or what method they are calling, etc.  This would also allow us to speed
things up and do things like authenticate stuff in the "sports" database off
of one LDAP server set up for sports writers, and "news" off another.  I
understand that this wouldn't address parsing and marshalling latency, but
it seems like a good way to have a big application with many GUI clients set
up.

I know that this way we don't have access to as rich of an object set, or
acquisition, etc, but it seems like for most GUI apps, this would be a
reasonable thing to give up (for the time being, at least) to have the
flexibility and simplicity of using XML-RPC.  So, some might ask the
question: why create a client that simply treats Zope remote methods as a
"dumb" data source?  I'm not sure that a dumb transport necessarily makes
for an unintelligent application; it just means the application is a little
bit more autonomous from Zope (which could either be good or bad)...

Sean