[Zope] Zope and SSL

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Sat, 26 May 2001 19:14:46 +0200

> I've scoured the various Howto's and have found some things related to
using
> Zope and SSL in various ways, but I still can't quite figure out the
answer
> to a really basic question (please be patient--I'm a real Zope newbie).
>
> Can Zope itself be configured (without TOO much pain) to use SSL directly,
> i.e., a provide a secure (https:) connection not using Apache as an
> intermediary?

There is an SSLified version of ZServer:
http://www.post1.com/home/ngps/zope/zssl/

Only problem: This gives you SSL-only. If you want both https: and plain
http: from the same server, you will either have to use Apache or two
ZServers and ZEO.

> I've already got Apache working with SSL, so I've got all the
certificates,
> keys, etc., and it's "just" a matter of getting Zope to talk security
> itself, directly.
>
> I'm also curious why this isn't built-in to Zope, i.e., why it isn't (or
> doesn't seem to be) important to the core DC folks?

When I asked that question a while ago, the answer was something like "it is
so hard to do this right, and Apache does it very well anyway" ...

P.S.: As far as I know, Python 2.1 socket code now has in-built https
support. Shouldn't it be easy to use this from ZServer?

Joachim