[Zope] Re: Help with Xron

Loren Stafford lstaffor@dynalogic.com
Sat, 26 May 2001 18:27:24 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Paulicka" <christopher_paulicka@hp.com>
To: "'Loren Stafford'" <lstaffor@dynalogic.com>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 12:19 PM
Subject: RE: Help with Xron

> Loren,
>
> >Look inside the Schedule catalog. It's index_html method lists the
entries
> >in the schedule. Is yours there?

What did you see when you looked inside the catalog?

>> If not, go and edit the method. You don't
> >have to change it, if it's all set correctly, just pretend you made a
> change
> >and click the Update button (or whatever it's called). That action will
> >reschedule the method. Then look in the Schedule again to be sure it's
> >there.
>
> I did that numerous times.  It doesn't seem to make a difference.  I can
> even rewrite the event, make a simpler event, all of that.  When I trigger
> or view, it works.  But the program never runs during the day, never
> automatically triggers like a good scheduler should.
>
> >Once you got STUPID_LOG working, what shows in the log? If the Dispatcher
> >tried to fire your method, there will be an entry in the log. Any errors
> >will also be noted.
>
> The STUPID_LOG points to a file which wasn't there.  I had assumed it
would
> create it if it didn't exist.
>
> Since then, I put a blank log file by the name ("zopeapp.log") into the
> directory, just in case, but that hasn't been written to yet.

If STUPID_LOG_FILE is working, Zope will write its startup messages to it,
independently of Xron. So, from what you said, I guess you don't have it
working yet. You can't do much debugging without either STUPID_LOG_FILE or
running in terminal debug mode. I'd suggest you get the log working first.
If you can't get it working with a STUPID_LOG_FILE environment entry, try
the Frozen Logger product.

What version of Zope? What OS?

> >To send email, your Xron Scheduled Method needs permission to use
Mailhost.
> >An Xron Scheduled Method by default has the permissions of "Anonymous
> User".
> >You may have to give the method a proxy role that has permissions to use
> >Mailhost.
>
> I know the mail works, because when I view or trigger my Xron method, it
> sends out the mailing list.  The problem is not with the e-mail, but with
> the Scheduler never seeming to send the darn thing.

But when you view or trigger it you have Manager permissions. That's
different from the Dispatcher environment which has the permissions of
Anonymous User.

-- Loren