[Zope] Documentation for web-designers

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Sun, 27 May 2001 18:21:50 +0200

Hi Jason, Markus,

--On Sonntag, 27. Mai 2001 12:05 -0400 Jason Cunliffe
<jasonic@nomadicsltd.com> wrote:

> From: "Markus Mohr" <markus@johalla.de>
>> I'm looking for an introduction to Zope for web-designers.
>> I'm having a bunch of people with lots of knowledge about html,
>> javascript,... and such, but know nil about zope , dtml or python. Is
>> there a documentation out there that I can give to them for a good start
>> into zope?
>
> Good topic for a new Zope book. Much needed imho.

This is already under its way :-)
(only planned in german so far. But I suspect this pleasures
Markus even more :)

> Can you be clearer about what kind of introduction you are looking for.
> Do you expect them to program Zope themselves, or merely be part of a team
> using Zope.

In my opinion there are programmers and ones that use zope.
Surely programmers and users can be the same person.

>From trainings I know its really hard to get different people
into thinking in terms of programming, let aside internet
technologie or even zope.

A general startup into the zope direction involves an overview
of the python programming language, especially in the domain
of classes and objects.

(I find the tutorial on python.org very usefull on this subject)

Basic knowledge (the deeper the better) of whats HTTP and whats
going on between server and client is also recommended.

Last not least one has to analyse the problem to be solved before
starting the actual work on coding.

Write down (or model with a case tool) what should happen when,
from where to where flows data and who should see what and when.

(design comes at the end of such process)

Select whats common in different tasks, these parts are candidates
for classes (or zclasses, so to speak)

You dont need every programmer understand every part of your implementation
as long as you provide consistent (inner application) APIs for them.

HTH
Tino Wildenhain