[Zope] Zope won't start

Leonard Sitongia sitongia@qwest.net
Tue, 29 May 2001 21:41:47 -0600

On Monday 28 May 2001 10:28, Leonard Sitongia wrote:
> My lastest efforts:

> So, FreeBSD port for Python 1.5.2 + Zope src 2.3.2 +
> wo_pcgi.py + recreate the password with
>
> python zpasswd.py -u admin -p (password) -e CRYPT access
>
> gives a running Zserver Zope.

I now have gotten Zope running with Apache on FreeBSD.  A tip
came from the New User How-To's at zope.org, in particular the
one from Jens:
http://www.zope.org/Members/jens/docs/newbie_caveats
where the tip on the "/" (slashes) in the RewriteRule are described.

I moved the Zope-src directory under the DocumentRoot of Apache.
I copied the Zope.cgi into the cgi-bin directory under Apache (I
had to add ExecCGI to that cgi-bin directory), plus make sure that
the permissions on the Zope.cgi are correct.

The RewriteRule then changes /Zope (which is at
DocumentRoot/Zope) to invoke the Zope.cgi and do the
authentication.

Authentication?  Back when I tried the Zope FreeBSD port, it said
to use CLEARTEXT encryption, not SHA or CRYPT, and I did need
to do that:

python zpasswd.py -u admin -p XXXX -e CLEARTEXT access

So then, loading up the URL http://localhost/Zope/manage goes to
prompt for the manage user authentication prompt.

Final notes: this is Zope 2.3.2 on FreeBSD 4.2.

==Leonard