[Zope] VersionLockError: version object no longer exists

Randy McLaughlin rmcl@usa.net
Thu, 31 May 2001 16:47:21 -0500

While working through the tutorial and introductory exercises, I appear to
have pointed myself into a corner.  I worked some versioning examples and
thought I had closed the version.  I resumed my study and eventually
returned to Zope to try adding a new object in the root folder.  This
resulted in a VersionLockError message and stack dump.  I think I've
figured out that this is a rather dramatic way of saying "this folder is
locked by another version".  I'm not sure how the root folder ended up
locked, but it does show that icon.

I then tried to undo my way out of the problem.  This undid the creation of
the version object, but not the objects locked by it.  Now I can't get into
the version, because the version does not exist.  I tried creating a new
version object by the same name and was able to do so but it did not end up
being associated with the locked folder.

It would be easy to simply uninstall Zope and reinstall it.  I have nothing
invested in the current configuration.  But I am uneasy about the
possibility of this happening later when I do have a site built and in
production.  I also suspect I will not be the last one bit by this problem.