[Zope] Unique ID's ?

Thu, 01 Nov 2001 10:12:17 +0000

On Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:08:10 +0100, Philippe Jadin
<philippe@123piano.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>After some deep searches about the subject, I found that zope has no
>real unique ID's.
>
>For a particular application (where we can't use the object "url" as an
>ID as ojects will move), I'd like to assign a unique_id property to each
>object whenever they are added (the ID must be really really unique).
>
>Is there already a patch that do that ? Is there a reason why zope
>doesn't provide this facility?

ZODB provides unique ids for all persisted objects, in the attribute
_p_oid. They are unique within a storage, but beware you may get
duplicates if you have mounted databases. Also, _p_oid will change if
an object is copy/pasted or export/imported. This may, or may not be
what you want.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com