[Zope] SVG and smart images

Alexander James Tucker alex.tucker@totalise.co.uk
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 10:49:02 +0000

Hi,

Has anyone got any pointers, or good ideas as to how to achieve the following?

I'd like to be able to use SVG based images on my site, where possible, for a
number of reasons -- one being that I'd like to be able to print out
documentation and diagrams without jaggies.

But I'd like my site to be viewable from different browsers and platforms
without necessarily having to have SVG plugins installed everywhere.  My
thoughts are to create a smart image product, which wraps an SVG image
document and delivers it unharmed only if the browser specifically says it
can accept image/svg (or whatever the mimetype is).

In all other cases, I'd like to be able to have PNG/JPEG content returned,
either automagically generated and cached on the fly, or more likely in the
first instance have a manually uploaded rendition returned.

Does anyone know if this would be easy, whether it's already been done, or
know of a simpler solution using client-side Java applets?

Alex.