[Zope] Re: SVG and smart images

Ayhan Ergul chaluba@yahoo.com
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 20:09:59 -0800 (PST)

Adobe has a script on their SVG site that detects if a
client has the viewer installed and if not takes it to
the download site. Perhaps, you can start with that
and  based on the existence of viewer you can force
(in javascript) loading of the svg image or the
png/jpeg rendering of it.

Obviously, if you want on-the-fly generation of
png/jpeg version then you need either something that
can do the conversion from svg or you need to generate
png/jpeg rendering yourself.

Ayhan

--- In zope@y..., Alexander James Tucker
<alex.tucker@t...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone got any pointers, or good ideas as to how
to achieve the
following?

> I'd like to be able to use SVG based images on my
site, where
possible, for a
> number of reasons -- one being that I'd like to be
able to print out
> documentation and diagrams without jaggies.
>
> But I'd like my site to be viewable from different
browsers and
platforms
> without necessarily having to have SVG plugins
installed everywhere.
 My
> thoughts are to create a smart image product, which
wraps an SVG
image
> document and delivers it unharmed only if the
browser specifically
says it
> can accept image/svg (or whatever the mimetype is).
>
> In all other cases, I'd like to be able to have
PNG/JPEG content
returned,
> either automagically generated and cached on the
fly, or more likely
in the
> first instance have a manually uploaded rendition
returned.

> Does anyone know if this would be easy, whether it's
already been
done, or
> know of a simpler solution using client-side Java
applets?