[Zope] Upgrading a product.

Paul Winkler slinkp23@yahoo.com
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 00:19:54 -0500

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 08:12:58PM -0800, Jason C. Leach wrote:
> hi,
>
> If i install and run Product X version 1.2.3, then a month later install
> version 1.2.4 of the product what happens to:
>
> 1.	My existing objects? Does there code get upgraded, or do they
> 	keep the old code.

They get the new code. However, if the product's __init__() method has
changed, new objects may behave differently than old objects, because
__init__() only runs when the object is created. There may be other
inconsistencies if the product author doesn't care about backwards
compatibility. A good product author should provide you with a way to
update old objects to avoid problems like this - e.g. a script that
searches for old objects and upgrades them.

> 2. 	My modifications? If I change a DTML in the created object, will
> 	the upgrade overwrite it?

You're asking about DTML method or docs that are automatically created
when you added the product to a folder? Then no, the upgrade will not
overwrite it, because they were created (directly or indirectly) by
myproduct.__init__().

--

paul winkler
home:  http://www.slinkp.com