[Zope] Re: Threading, dtml and performance?!

Oliver Erlewein oerlewein@gmx.de
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 15:20:54 +0100 (MET)

Hi Tony

No, I havn't solved the problem but after restarting production (after 19
days) I noticed that the funny way the threadcount reacted. I'd say, that the
threads don't get killed after they have finished. I also noticed that the
memory use went down from 344Mb to about 26Mb. Now I've put a restart into my
nightly cronjob. (Are there some reasons why  Zope should not be restarted
dayly?????)

I've just tested the whole thing on a WinNT 4.0 PC with Zope 2.4.2 (binary
distribution). No problems! The PC gets slower but can answer two browser
instances parallel.
If I do the same thing on Solaris (intel & sun servers!) it is impossible!
Normally you have sortof a break in a loop where control is given to the other
parallel threads. This seems not to happen on my source compile with
Solaris. I'm not so firm on where to address this problem (or if the problem was
already adressed elswhere e.g. python maillists). Therefore I'd really
apreciate some help! ;-) I don't want to start thinking about a migration Linux or
even (puke) Windows.

On Solaris I'm still using 2.4.0. Does it make sense to upgrade? I've seen
that in Zope 2.4.3b1 there was some issue with dtml-recursion?

Greetings from a rany Cologne!
Oliver

http://www.gmx.net