[Zope] JASC Namo a Visual Web Editor for Zope?

Paul Browning paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 06:52:23 -0000

--On 14 November 2001 12:03 -0700 Harlow Pinson <hpinson@indepthl.com>
wrote:

> Hi.  Can someone confirm this...
>
> I just downloaded and installed the JASC Namo WebEditor and it
> seems to let me visually edit Zope objects that do not have file
> extensions, and also not clobber my code.
>
> http://list.jasc.com/UM/T.asp?A1.31.42.1.2373433
>
> If so, after fighting with Dreamweaver as a visual Zope editor, this
> would make my day, and make Zope interface development much
> more accessible to designers.
>
> Any other input about quirkyness of this product with Zope would
> be appreciated.  I'm just starting to look at it.

Wow! Only had the quickest of plays but I think Harlow has
uncovered a gem.

My observations:

Namo is agnostic about dtml tags. Editing via the webdav source
port just works (though I found I had to turn off back-ups
and ftp in the preferences). Extension-less filenames seem
fine.

The only code mangling seems to be the insertion of

which is harmless enough.

You get three tabs at the bottom of any window - Edit, HTML and
Preview (Wysiwyg edit, HTML edit and the obvious respectively).
One thing that puzzles me is that you're forced to re-authenticate
every time you use the Preview tab via the webdav source port.

Other than that my initial impressions are extremely favourable.
In 10 minutes of playing I found it more intuitive than GoLive.

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: paul.browning@bristol.ac.uk  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/