[Zope] Zope as a service on NT

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:33:51 -0500

[Jeffrey Robinson]

> Currently we have Zope (2.4.2) running on a test Windows NT server as we
> test different products for use as the framework for our corporate
Intranet.

> Zope is installed behind IIS using PCGI, but our admins have some concerns
> about how Zope runs, and I cannot verify with my limited knowledge of the
> product.
>
> I know on NT there are two ways to run Zope, either as a "standard"
program,
> or as a service.  For our needs, I believed the service would be ideal;
but
> according to one of the admins when Zope is run as a service it is a
"hack"
> that launches the "standard" way of running Zope.
>
> Personally, I had assumed that it was running in the background like any
> other NT service (maybe simply because I never saw a console window).
>
> The crux of the situation is (understandably) that the IT department does
> not want to run anything that they manually have to restart.
>
> Is there any definitive answer/description available about how Zope runs
on
> NT?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I ran Zope on NT4 SP6, now it's on Win2000, both times as a service.  It
starts and stops like any other service.  I can't say for sure that it gets
restarted automatically since I haven't had it stop on its own AFAIK.  It
starts automatically on bootup, and stops automatically on shutdown.  Sure
seems like a normal service to me.  There are also registry entries that
look like they are normal for services.

It is true that the service wrapper starts the normal Zope script, but so
what?

Cheers,

Tom P