[Zope] New Zope site... maybe

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:37:30 +0100

Hi, again ;)

--On Dienstag, 20. November 2001 12:43 +0100 Markus Schaber <markus.schaber@student.uni-ulm.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>
>> > www.gemeinsamlernen.de and www.solill.net will migrate to this new
>> > server, but foreign links have to stay intact. So index.html has to be
>> > the name for the index files.
>
>> Hehe. Refering explicitely to index.html was ever and with every
>> server bad style :-)
>
> Well - delivering an index file when pointing to a directory is somehow
> a "hack" the web server does. You can easily configure apache to make it
> always deliver the directory listing, regardless of any files inside the
> directory.

Sure. One can. But this is not the purpose of such a mechanism ;)
Its meant to have nice looking URLs and index.html is not
so nice ;) Furthermore no one uses http://foo.bar.com/index.html
when refering to a site. So why using http://foo.bar.com/foo/index.html ?

> So the directory/ and directory/index.html may be two really different
> contents. And I personally prefer to point directly to the file.

This makes it hard for Apaches content-negotiation either :-)

> Additionally, I don't have much influence on the way other people create
> external links to our webpages :-(

No one will invent link names. If one uses index.html (s)he just
copied a reference from your site. If you dont use links to index.html,
no one else will :)

Regards
Tino

fight-the-ugly-url-task-force ;))