[Zope] Urgent help needed: Zope falls over under moderate load

bak (kedai) kedai@kedai.com.my
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:26:32 +0800

On Wednesday 21 November 2001 05:38 am, you wrote:

> The big "bang for buck" solution provider is caching.  Assuming that
> you had no problems *before* the slashdotting, that will solve your
> problem because it will cause Zope to need to serve far fewer
> requests, closer to the number of requests you normally get.  And this
> is (I assume) the outcome that you actually want.  I highly recommend
> setting up a caching proxy in front of Zope if this sort of load will
> be recurring.  It's way faster and cheaper than trying to understand
> the problem deeply.  ;-)  Most commercial sites are developed using
> this principle, AFAICT.

butting in with questions :)
with 2.3.x, RAM Cache Manager has no refresh/expire/max_age feature.  you get
that with 2.4.x and above only.  so that might give users stale pages.  i
know, i've encountered it.

i *really* think that there should be a RAM Cache Manager howto/best
approach.  i'd like to write it, but i need inormation.  i'm currently
caching my pages, but i'm not sure i'm doing it right.  properties such as
REQUEST variables (there's two forms available. 1- at the method's page, 2-at
the cachemanager page), statistics (seems that the url does have some effect
on the cache hit rates), etc.  confirmation from product author/zc would
really help.  i guess that i should really look at the source ..., and i
will.  today.

now, for putting squid in front of zope.  how do others do this, when you
have more than one server (using zeo).  there's the virtual parameter in
squid, but i don't get it.  any body done this?

my solution for now is putting in caching manager, and if *really* necessary
adding in another zeo client.

thanks