[Zope] Re: Line Wrap and the Zope Community?

Ron theotiwii@earthlink.net
21 Nov 2001 09:12:54 -0800

I'm a bit relieved someone has noticed... WAIT!

Is this ENDEMIC to the Zope community?

Is NOT the primary use of the web, i.e,. the WEB PAGE to present
information for HUMAN consumption? And would NOT the best of this be a
web page that presents itself so that the viewer DESIRES to view it?

(Let me call this VISUAL ALACRITY*)

Should it follow: It is the ULTIMATE goal of web publishing software to
provide and enhance Visual Alacrity! (Especially in this era when it is
NOT information, but the ability to CAPTURE ATTENTION that is at a
premium!?!)

Is Zope a data PUMP or a web PUBLISHER?

A word wrap (or any display) problem is ONLY the fault of the SOFTWARE
UNLESS the page designer takes EXTRA-ORDINARY steps to BREAK (what
should be) THE SOFTWARE'S PRIMARY FUNCTION - Visual Alacrity!

I swear, kids designing pages in HTML editors are producing more
appealing results!

--------------------------

Please, this is not an attack. I'm a (albeit new) member of the Zope
community. 20 years of programming experience clues me that ZOPE is the
BEST OF BREED! But the human part of me, the one that steps back and
evaluates the work I've done in context to humanity (right, in CONTEXT
to WHAT REALLY EXISTS, NOT JUST WHAT MY BUDDIES ARE DOING)... that part
of me wants to vomit as I wade through on-line Zope sources in the
process of educating myself.

And it's NOT the contributors or their content that are at fault:

	IT IS THE MIND SET of the Community

that allows this LACK of Visual Alacrity to become ENDEMIC to the entire
Zope experience!

WAKE UP!

-Ron

* Visual Alacrity: A cheerful readiness, willingness, or promptitude to
be viewed; joyous reading, visual briskness, sprightliness.

PS: Simon, I'm not dumping this rant on you, as you know, I'm trying to
ratchet up awareness before I too am lulled into acceptance by exposure!

It's not my intention to attack specific web pages since I do not view
them as the problem nor listing them as a part of the solution set. The
solution lies in making Zope a better Web Product, that means making its
developers AWARE of what that ENTAILS and reminding users WHAT TO
EXPECT!