[Zope] Email address validator?

Bruce Eckel Bruce@EckelObjects.com
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 09:03:11 -0800

Here's an update:

"All SMTPSenderRefused is telling you is that Sendmail didn't like
the
sender's address, meaning it wasn't conformant to the relevant RFCs
be an Internet e-mail address.  If you're just checking the
formatting,
it's about as good as you'll find anywhere.  If you're looking for
a valid
delivery location, the only true test is to send it and not receive
bounce, which really only means that the other machine didn't tell
you
it was not valid."

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 08:52:13AM -0800, Bruce Eckel wrote:
> Yes, the invalid sender was actually the problem, since that is
the
> address that the registrant has filled out in the form. I'm
trying
> to figure out now whether this test is reliable enough that I can
> ignore the other checks of the email address, or if I should do
> those on top of this.

So it appears from this that one could skip our format-checking
code, and just catch SMTPSenderRefused as a test for the validity
of the email address formatting. The value of this is that if the
RFCs change, someone else would update the format-checking code (in
sendmail).

On 11/25/01 at 8:28 AM Jim Washington wrote:

>Bruce Eckel wrote:
>
>>Thanks! I spent a bit of time refactoring it. Also, I decided
that if it
>worked it would return the address, otherwise it would return None
>indicate failure.
>>
>[refactored code snipped]
>
>Interesting style!   Thanks!  Always good to learn a new thing or
two.
> Do you plan to work on the other part about querying the SMTP
server
>about whether it accepts mail for [email_address]?
>
>-- Jim Washington

Most current information can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html
Bruce Eckel    http://www.BruceEckel.com
Contains free electronic books: "Thinking in Java 2e" & "Thinking
in C++ 2e"
Please subscribe to my free newsletter -- just send any email to:
join-eckel-oo-programming@earth.lyris.net
My schedule can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Calendar