[Zope] Re: can I move my zope site off zope?

Satheesh Babu sbabu@tnc.org
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 07:49:38 -0500

About having all the data in ZODB, I tend to agree with Jacob Singh.  It
is lot more *easier* in SQL (for people who know SQL a little bit) to
extract data out in any way you want. However, I certainly don't agree
that it is easier to program and maintain ASP/PHP code to talk to
database for building a large scale applications - when compared to
Zope.  IMO, Zope with ZSQL methods is the best and most versatile choice
for hooking up a database to web. So, what I tend to do often is to
design a database in RDBMS and use Zope to talk to it - this is a hell
lot more easier than mixed HTML + ASP/PHP code - it cut down the
development time by around 80% and certainly cut down lot of maintenance
time.

One issue I can think of ZODB is that mass update of properties is
little harder than SQL - I know there is find & replace support now, but
I've not used it yet - as opposed to simple UPDATE table SET col=''
WHERE blah blah.

That said, here is the principle that I've been following so far:
- If we need only a web application, go with Zope and its products
- If we need a web application and that data probably needs to be used
elsewhere, create a SQL schema that supports Zope's products. Then
automatically synch the ZODB data to RDBMS (well, this will limit the
object capabilities of Zope a little bit)
- If it is really a mission critical application for which web is just
one interface (and it is possible that people want OLTP capabilities
later), start with a database design, use ZSQL, preferably make your own
management interface and then create ZODB objects from the database.
This is a lot like traditional ASP/PHP programming, but you would be
surprised how easy it is in Zope. You might want to check the DBObjects
product as well.

S Babu
http://vsbabu.org/