[Zope] Getting email fields right

Bruce Eckel Bruce@EckelObjects.com
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 07:25:58 -0800

It turns out this was a bug with MailHost, that was fixed in 2.4.3.
I'm running 2.4.2.

On 11/29/01 at 3:56 PM flynt wrote:

>Hi Bruce
>
>I am puzzled a bit. I tested before I sent you the message. And I
tested
>more after your reply that it did not work for you. Furthermore,
looking
>in the source code, the Mailhost product's *MailHost.send* method
does
>nothing else than using smtplib. So if Fredric Lundh's receipt is
>working with smtplib, it should do so with Zope's Mailhost.
>
>I tested with:
>- Zope 2.3.3 and Zope 2.4.3 on Linux
>- Zope 2.4.3 on Windows XP
>- Email clients Netscape Messenger and MS Outlook
>- different SMTP servers in the MailHost object: Intranet
(Sendmail and
>MS Exchange), mx0.gmx.net (qmail)
>- different sender and recipients addresses (Intranet and GMX)
>- by using test tab of the external method and by calling the
external
>method
>from a DTML method.
>For all cases it works.
>
>I could reproduce your original problem (I got the from part in
the
>email, but for recipients I got only *Undisclosed recipients*),
but I
>cannot reproduce the problems with the wrong (missing ?) *from*
and *to*
>you are reporting now. I *do* get the *from* and *to* fields
correctly
>filled when using the external method that I copy-pasted into the
email
>that I have sent earlier.
>
>Sorry, at the moment I have no idea about what might be the
problem.
>Maybe someone else has an idea ? And I do not understand why it
should
>work with smtplib but not with Zope's Mailhost object's *send*
method.

>--- Flynt
>

>Bruce Eckel wrote:
>>
>> Thanks ... except, it doesn't actually work. I installed it and
>> tried it, and it sends email but the From and To fields are not
>> filled out properly.
>>
>> Using smtplib does work, however.

>> up
>> of

problem.
>> Or
>> >
>> >Hi Bruce
>> >
>> >With the help of Lundh's *Python Standard Library* I got to the
>> >following. This is in the external method:
>> >
>> >import string
>> >def testmail(self):
>> >        message = "This is a test"
>> >        mto = "Bruce@EckelObjects.com"
>> >        mfrom = "Bruce@EckelObjects.com"
>> >        subject = "Test Email"
>> >        encode = None
>> >
>> >        body = string.join((
>> >                "From: %s" % mfrom,
>> >                "To: %s" % mto,
>> >                "Subject: %s" % subject,
>> >                "",
>> >                message), "\r\n")
>> >
>> >        self.MailHost.send(body, [mto], mfrom, subject, encode)
>> >

>> >Greetings
>> >
>> >--- Flynt

Most current information can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html
Bruce Eckel    http://www.BruceEckel.com
Contains free electronic books: "Thinking in Java 2e" & "Thinking
in C++ 2e"
Please subscribe to my free newsletter -- just send any email to:
join-eckel-oo-programming@earth.lyris.net
My schedule can be found at:
http://www.mindview.net/Calendar