[Zope] How big a site can Zope handle?

Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:17:41 +0000

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:20:58 +0100, "Lennart Regebro"
<lennart@regebro.nu> wrote:

>If I have a nice big commodity box, say a 1GHz PC, and have users that =
with
>all of their hits make some kind of transaction, say,=20

>writing in a
>discussion forum,

If usage of your forums is anything like way I read the zope mailing
list, then less than 1% of transactions will be posting new articles.

> or reading in a discussion forum (and thereby marking the
>posts as read, hence the transaction).

Other posters have suggested that zope is not good for high-write
throughput. Thats generally true, and you might want to consider using
a different way of storing the read/unread status. Cookies?

>How many users would such a system be able to handle? 100, 1000, 10.000,
>100.000?
>Any experiences on this?

A hand-waving ballpark estimate assuming you dont store read/unread
status in the ODB: 10 to 100 read transactions per second (the
variation depends on your page complexity). Even better than that, you
can use a caching front-end proxy to multiply that up.

2 to 20 impure-read transactions if you do. and you cant cache :-(

I hope that helps.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com