[Zope] HTML validation failure with DTML-renders -- ends tag with />

Trevor Toenjes zope@toenjes.com
Mon, 1 Oct 2001 11:09:45 -0400

> This is "the Right Thing to do"(tm).
>
> The trailing slash is a necessity to make it validate as XHTML, which
> incidentally is the w3c's current recommendation for HTML markup. -
> And the only one that will be expanded in the future.
>
> - but i might agree... - there should probably be a switch to
> toggle it off, if you
> insist on creating old-school HTML4 (or godforbid 3.2!)

Interestingly, the HTML W3C validator fails the end tag.
And does not mention it might be XHTML.

It doesnt seem to break the browsers I am testing, so I will ignore it until
I learn XHTML.   -next week.  ;)

But, to address your toggle idea as a techno newbie.  If you could set a
namespace or SiteAccess/HostMonster space to the CONTENT-TYPE or ISO-XXX,
then Zope would render  based on this property.  This would require
additional render libraries for Zope, but might open it to support different
standards.

Thanks,
-Trevor