[Zope] accessing REMOTE_ADDR

Tom Cameron tom@cameron.to
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:26:05 +1000

I have worked around this problem using QSA (Query string append) in the Mod
Rewrite Module.

I found an article once on how you can modify the Apache Source and recomple
to make the ProxyPass transparant, but I was not to keen on trying it out.
http://www.stevek.com/projects/mod_tproxy/

Basically I use the Mod Rewrite rule with the [P] extension - works the same
as ProxyPass, but is more powerful.

For the REMOTE_ADDR (and any other Apache environment variables) you can
append them to the Query string using:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://localhost:8080/$1?REMOTE_ADDR=%{REMOTE_ADDR}
[QSA,P]

Similar for any other apache variables:
HTTP_USER_AGENT
HTTP_REFERER
HTTP_COOKIE
HTTP_HOST
REMOTE_ADDR
REMOTE_HOST
REMOTE_USER

Be warned, this will not work on 'post' requests, only 'get'. But it is the
best way I know.

Tom