[Zope] interfaces and help system

kapil thangavelu k_vertigo@yahoo.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 07:05:47 -0700

On Tuesday 02 October 2001 10:51 am, Amos Latteier wrote:
> kapil wrote:
>  > is there a way to register interfaces as part of the online
>  > help system?
>
> Yes there is, though it is an experimental feature which isn't currently
> being used anywhere in Zope. If you register an API help topic Zope will
> not only recognize classes but interfaces in the .py file. You don't
> have to do anything special just use context.registerHelp() in your
> product's initialization function.

yes it was fairly easy, basically move the file there. one request, if the
help system is going to document interfaces it would be nice if it looked for
them in the interfaces subdirectory.

> The relevant code is in HelpSys/APIHelpTopic.py
>
> BTW, in the future, I think all API docs should be done with interfaces.
> I have a proposal in the fishbowl for this.
>
>    http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/APIDocs/

i think this is a great idea, even better if all this will work with implied
interfaces, this would allow really low impediment class/interface
documentation and better the interface documentation would be in the code.

i haven't tried the implied interface with the help sys, it probably just
works...

> Sadly this project is currently on hold. The reason is that we don't
> have enough time to work on it. I'd still like to see this project
> revived, once we have resources available to work on it.

yes that would be nice, also much more likely to be easy to implement in mass
when the component architecture is in place and all standard zope stuff comes
with interfaces.

cheers

kapil