[Zope] Python 2.1 for debian ?

Jim Washington jwashin@vt.edu
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 08:32:32 -0400

>Where coud I get python 2.1 for debian ?

Since this is the zope list, I am guessing you want to use Zope-2.4.1,
and this is troublesome because debian is stuck for the moment at
Python-1.5.2.  The debian python/zope maintainer is working on it, but
there were a lot of issues and dependencies still to work out last time
I checked.

In the mean time, you might want to try the zope linux binary,
Zope-2.4.1-linux2-x86.tgz, available at the usual zope download
location.  It has Python 2.1 included, and this will co-exist with your
existing debian python stuff nicely.

The easiest place to install would be your home directory.  Follow the
install directions, then edit z2.py to set the ports so they do not
conflict with existing services.  Run ./start with appropriate options,
and you are off and running.

If you want something more "system" than your home directory, this can
also be done easily, though I have not bothered to do it myself.  As a
hint, the things that the maintainer changed or added for debian are, IIRC:

/usr/sbin/zopectl
/usr/sbin/zope-z2
/usr/sbin/zope-zpasswd
/etc/init.d/zope (and /etc/rc[x].d)
/usr/lib/zope/z2.py (study this carefully!)
zope directory is /usr/lib/zope
zope var directory is /var/lib/zope/var

I would install in /usr/local/zope rather than in /usr/lib, and it's
important to get permissions right.  Of course, this also means manually
maintaining any plugin packages for this python. :(  But you could write
a howto after you get it working. :)

Hopefully, this would be a temporary work-around, anyway, and soon
apt-get install zope will do the whole upgrade for you.

hth,

-- Jim Washington