[Zope] Upgrading on Windows

Karl Munroe komunroe@uwimona.edu.jm
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 17:28:57 -0800

I have tried that before now and it worked for some parts of my site. The
problem I now realize is the LocalFs product. I tried to install the python
extentions on my W2k server. It did not pick up the python 1.5 in the zope
instal..anyone else had that prob. help me please...I am going out to try
and solve it..

thanks in advance
karl Munroe

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of
Thomas B. Passin
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 12:43 PM
To: ZOPE Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Zope] Upgrading on Windows

[Karl Munroe]

> I want to upgrade Zope 2.2.4 to Zope 2.3.2. I do not want to move to 2.4
> yet. I have tried to use the How-to upgrade zope 2.x but it was of very
> little help....has anyone done it successfully??

Not those exact versions but similar ones, including from 2.1.6 to 2.3.x.  I
have gone through a series of upgrades, five or six in all.  At first I
simply backed up my data.fs file and used it to replace to new one put in by
the new version installation.  Lately, I have been exporting the whole
folder tree and importing that int0 the new installation at one shot, AFAIR.

Either way, I install the new Zope into a new directory.  Don't forget to
copy over any products you have installed, and any external methods. Make
sure you delete any *.pyc files in the external methods folder.   I haven't
had any problems.  Of course, make sure you keep a working copy of data.fs
just in case!

I'm not sure how well the export/import would work from 2.3+ to 2.4+,
though.  Some things get pickled for the export, and supposedly pickling is
not compatible between Python versions.  Anyone know for sure if that's
correct?

Cheers,

Tom P