[Zope] How slow are Transparent folders?

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 13:45:33 +0200

> > One solution I am personally working on is folders that just "register"
or
> > filter certain types of objects, so that you can have a folder (or tab)
that
> > shows all your SQL methods for example, though they actually are all in
your
> > root folder.
>
> What about having a folder which somehow 'registers' or concatenates the
> namespace of the enclosing folder with it's contents, perhaps only
updating
> at certain times?  Or... 'appearing' to it's enclosing folder not as one
> object but a list of stuff, everything inside it?  I'll shut up now, since
> I'm not looking at the source :)

You seem to think the other way around, but maybe that way the problem could
be solved more easily. So we would have a parent folder that treats the
contents of some of its children as if they were his own. This must be easy
to do. The question is: Can we hide that in the management interface? Again,
just overloading the main.dtml method with a version that uses, let's say an
"myReallyOwnObjectValues()" instead of "objectValues()" should be
straightforward.

Just dreaming a bit ...

Joachim