[Zope] Opps! Re: Recommendation - That's 200-400 users per day

Bob Campbell rcam@psouth.net
Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:17:22 -0400

Subject: Re: [Zope] Opps! Re: Recommendation - That's 200-400 users per day

We are looking for general advice on any procedures or processes that are
routinely used for this type of a form based application.

 Hi Bob,

> Can you be more specific?
>
> Cheers,
>
> - C

Hi Chris,

Absolutely. Some background: Building data driven web applications is a new
(ad)venture for many of our business line developers. Most are used to
desktop applications built with Access and VB. A few have taken the Zope
course taught by Michael Pelletier.

The application being built is a fairly complex loan input system. Most of
the application will follow a step by step sequence through a series of
forms. There is no existing data. All of the data  is completely generated
by the user. The users will input dozens of fields with information through
the first 2-3 forms and then part of that information will be queried and
visible in many of the other forms. With the amount of fields and forms, the
application is slow. Very slow. All of the coding is done with ZSQL methods
and dtml. The database is in mySQL and set up as an ODBC data source.

I have the following questions (Note: I am not a programmer. I'm a
designer*.  I know just what I have to know about programming languages and
building applications. I am far more comfortable  with CSS, HTML, DHTML,
site architecture and learning ZPT. I am also one of  technical advisors for
the Intranet, which is why I'm writing this and not the programmers.)

1. I've setup ZMySQLDA, tested it and it works. Would there be a significant
difference using ZMySQLDA rather then ODBC?
2. A number of people have asked me about session tracking and caching. I
don't know enough about either one to give an intelligent answer. Are they
applicable in this type of situation?

*Each form will open in a chromeless window with buttons directing the user,
the context menu will be disabled so it is unlikely the user will go "back."

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob