[Zope] help with zclasses

Jim Washington jwashin@vt.edu
Sun, 07 Oct 2001 10:22:53 -0400

Erik Barrett-Hakanson wrote:

>I'm new to zope, we just got it installed a couple days ago. I want to add a
>zclass to a folder and the examples simply say to select it from the add drop
>down list. zclass is an option in all the things in the products folder but
>not available in any other folder. Why is this
>thanks
>erik

Hi, Erik

It is the difference between a class and an instance of that class.

As a simple example, if you want to create a GuestBook using ZClasses
methodology, you would make a ZClass with a meta_type of 'GuestBook'
inside the products area.  Then you  would be able to add multiple
GuestBook objects from the add drop down list everywhere.

The ZClass in the products area would define the behavior of all of your
GuestBooks, but each individual GuestBook would have its own data.

-- Jim Washington