[Zope] More CoreSession/Data Container questions

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Tue, 09 Oct 2001 18:48:40 -0400

This is covered a little bit in the docs, but here's the idea:

- the "session id manager" should really be named a "browser id manager"
(and likely will be when CST is integrated in to Zope).  It is meant to
attribute a string (a token) to a particular browser on a particular
computer.  It helps to think of it like stamping each browser with a
particular id for some period of time.

- the lifetime of a "session" in common terminology (ala
ASP/servlets/ColdFusion, etc) is really best matched up with the
lifetime of a "session data object" in CST.  The fact that, when using
cookies, the browser has the potential to retain its "browser id" (in
the form of a persistent cookie) is really not meaningful, because the
original session data object expires and a new one takes its place.
This is really a "session".

If you want to keep track of "sessions" using a unique key that
represents the session data object (as opposed to the token), create a
session onStart method that computes a random id and stick it in the
session data object itself.  Then in the onEnd method, do your
summarizing of data associated with that session data object referenced
by the key.

In short, you're doing the right thing.  Set the cookie lifetime really
high (not sure what the max is?).  Set the data container timeout to "0"
(persistent).  This will keep the session data around forever (which is
probably a bad idea, but we'll ignore that for the moment), and it will
only become disconnected from the browser when the person deletes the
CST cookie; when he reinstalls; or when the cookie times out way in the
future.

Note that it's probably a good idea to have *some* timeout on the
session data container if you think that cookies will be lost or
replaced, etc.  Maybe a month or something.

Wow.  Note that it's cool that Mozilla knows what God meant control-K to
do (emacs/bash delete to end of line).