[ZWeb] Re: [Zope] Come kick some tires, at new.zope.org

Jim Penny jpenny@universal-fasteners.com
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 11:02:14 -0400

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 10:59:44AM +0200, Robert Rottermann wrote:

> The sad thing about it is that to sell something, even to us techies, its
> features are much less important than its "look and feel".
>
> If I take Zope's motto "Content management for half the price" and use the
> CMF-Dogbowl as a reference people will think "yes it shows".
>
> Nobody looks under the hood. Either its glossy or they keep on looking
> further.
>
> What I want to say with my epistle is this: Either visual design is of high
> priority from the very beginning or it will probably never be there..

To quote Opus "I object, I object, By Golly, I object".

I visit zope.org nearly every day to

1) look for new product announcements
2) as a portal to the "Zope Exits"
3) for documentation
4) to download products

Anything that slows those down is a _bad_ idea; and lots of graphics
will do nothing but slow those down.

Now... If you were to propose a "Am I hot" section where people could
submit zope based websites for peer review/rating, (preferably multi-axis,
perhaps pretty, functional, novel, etc.) then I would have no objection.

But please leave zope.org very plain jane.

Now, some real feedback...

The new search interface is much better.  The less intrusive header is
much better.

Something is going wrong in search display, however....

Search on "session and manager".  Note the second item "No title".
Description is one long run-on mess.  It is neither truncated to
a reasonable length, nor is it properly formatted.  Same with
SiteTracker.  And why did Core Session Product not satisfy the search?

Are the Exits gone?  Perhaps it is time.

Jim Penny