[Zope] Windows Internet Explorer login into Zope

Heimo Laukkanen huima@fountainpark.org
Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:05:34 +0300

I have been building an extranet for a client with Zope and now stumbled
in a login problem with a couple of users who have Internet Explorer
installed on their windows 2000-laptops. Version of the browser is 5.5 -
as far as the users can tell. I have no access to the users computers
and from time to time only guide them in phone, if they have massive
problems.

In the extranet we use 128-bit encryption and users are authenticated
from mysqlUserFolder, since passwords are changed daily. All the bits
and pieces of the extranet are not programmed in Zope, but also in php.
These php-applications get authentication data from the mysql-database
tables that are shared with mysqlUserFolder. Authentication method is
http basic authentication.

But now to the problems that users have faced so far. If you can help at
all or can guide me to more information.

1) Unable to connect at all - not even authentication requests to the
screen

I am writing guide to the users and the points so far are
- check if there is connection at all to internet
- basic http-connection to our public server
- if browser has 128-bit security ( Help -> About Internet Explorer )
   - download newer IE or high security pack
- internet settings from internet explorer ( Tools -> Internet Options )
   - Security, use Fortezza, SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0
   - What else should be checked in these options?

2) Authentication is asked multiple times when connecting to Zope

User can get a login screen, but after writing correct username and
password login screen pops up again. When user types in the password
again, he/she gets to the frontpage, but when he/she clicks a link login
screen pops up again. If user types in the password, everything migth
work ok.

Sometimes it seems that checking 'Save password in password list'-migth
help.

Debugging the authentication problem is real hard work - and for me the
log-files don't seem to bring any enligthment. Apache log don't show
anything unusual and zope log doesn't show anything unusual either.

And the good part is that only the users who are far far far away have
these problems. ,-)

-huima