[ZWeb] Re: [Zope] Come kick some tires, at new.zope.org

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:22:43 +0200

> > So? This doesn't mean you can't make it look nice anyway. Check out
> > http://www.ekit.com/ - it looks fine under links, under NS4, IE4, IE5,
NS6, ...
> > It's not that hard to make a site that renders fine under text mode
browsers...

> As does microsoft.com, funnily enough ;-)

In my experience, the trick is using very little table tag magic, spacer
GIFs, etc. and put most of the formatting into style sheets. So the (simple)
table layout will look good under Lynx/w3m, and the style sheets will do the
magic for the "high-end" browser.

If there wasn't Netscape 4.x to consider, we could get completely rid of
using all the tables and transparent GIFs. But there are surprisingly many
people who still use that beast, even on Windows machines ... (and it will
not display ANY stylesheet stuff on Linux if you switch off Javascript).

Joachim