[Zope] Performance sending static content?

Bryan Field-Elliot bryan@netmeme.org
14 Oct 2001 14:55:05 -0600

--=-7dC7G3OcP96E6uQ63eTt

I was wondering -- are there any performance problems associated with
using Zope to serve images and other large static content?

In the Java world, we have the Servlet container, which serves Servlets
and JSP pages (the most popular choice probably being Tomcat). However,
you try not to have your Servlet container serving your graphics --
instead, let Apache do that as a front-end to Tomcat, and have Tomcat
only invoked to serve the dynamic HTML pages.

Where it gets complicated, is when you want your application (be it in
Java, Python, or whatever) to manage security etc. There is no good
solution to this in the Apache/Java world (e.g. no way to let your Java
app evaluate security, but let Apache do the actual data serving,
assuming the user passes the authorization test).

How does Zope deal with this? And if the answer is, "let Zope serve your
images", then does Zope tend to be as noticably slow in serving images
as, say, Tomcat in Java?

Thanks,

Bryan

--=-7dC7G3OcP96E6uQ63eTt

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
I was wondering -- are there any performance problems associated with using Zope to serve images and other large static content?
<BR>

<BR>
In the Java world, we have the Servlet container, which serves Servlets and JSP pages (the most popular choice probably being Tomcat). However, you try not to have your Servlet container serving your graphics -- instead, let Apache do that as a front-end to Tomcat, and have Tomcat only invoked to serve the dynamic HTML pages.
<BR>

<BR>
Where it gets complicated, is when you want your application (be it in Java, Python, or whatever) to manage security etc. There is no good solution to this in the Apache/Java world (e.g. no way to let your Java app evaluate security, but let Apache do the actual data serving, assuming the user passes the authorization test).
<BR>

<BR>
How does Zope deal with this? And if the answer is, &quot;let Zope serve your images&quot;, then does Zope tend to be as noticably slow in serving images as, say, Tomcat in Java?
<BR>

<BR>
Thanks,
<BR>