[Zope] Can Zope handle multiple markup language?

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:04:57 +0100

Hi Phil,

* Phil Harris <phil.harris@zope.co.uk> [011015 16:33]:
> You assume that everyone will want to use the CMF, as it stands the
> CMF is a bit limiting for various types of project (mine included).
>
> I know you're somewhat of an evangelist, but there are other ways to
> do the same thing.

I'm well aware of its failings, and I know the CMF doesn't suit
everyone.  However, IMO it does offer a valid solution to a set of
presentation problems (Zope-only, skinning framework...), just as XSLT
does (standards-based, ..?).  I just wanted to throw in another option
for Firestar to consider.

I'd be interested to know, how is the CMF is limited w.r.t your
requirements, and what are the particular strengths of the XSLT (or
other) approach?

Cheers,

seb

> seb bacon <seb@jamkit.com> wrote:
>
> > A different (and IMO nicer) approach is to use the CMF skins
> > tool to present your content.  The CMF separates content, application,
> > and presentation very well, and you get the added benefit of having
> > filesystem-based DTML/zpt/images etc out of the box.

<snip>

> > > Yup that sounds similar to what I was doing. Using
> > > XSLT + XML combo, the work of generating content in
> > > various markup language is quite easy. I was wondering
> > > whether using ZPT in Zope will be able to achieve the
> > > same thing, possibly in a more
> > > flexible/efficient/faster way?

<snip>