[Zope] Static content issues

Gary Algier gaa@ulticom.com
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:59:46 -0400

I have had zope running here for a few days now to investigate using it
as a place for the whole company to be able to put documents that they
want to share with the rest.  This will be a lot of files with very few
changes each day and I realize now that everything is stored in all one
file -- var/data.fs.  So, the questions become:

     1) How will this impact my backups?  As I see it, eventually this
        file will become huge and I will be saving it to the backup tape
        every day.  How can I only save the changes?  Is there a way to
        get it to keep objects of type "File" external?

     2) What do I do to restore only part of it?  Often I get people that
        say they need something restored from several days ago because
        thay made a mistake.  How can I handle this with everything
        in one file?

     3) Should I be using a different product, like Apache + mod_dav
        and leave zope for more dynamic content?  Apache does not have
        the integrated access management.  People would need to edit
        the .htaccess files manually.

--
Gary Algier, WB2FWZ       gary.algier@ulticom.com           +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054      Fax:+1 856 866 2033

        A self-addressed envelope would be addressed "envelope."