[Zope] Q: about the system

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:36:54 +0100

* Adrian Mugnolo <adrianm@yahoo-inc.com> [011015 21:39]:
> 1) Is there a way to code output filters in the Zope model?  If yes,
> do they fit in the product model?  Are they limited to Python code?
> Where can I get a running example?  By "output filters" I mean a very
> last stage code processor.  Let's say I need to run HTML validation,
> compression, macro expansion, etc., after all DTML processing and
> inheritance has happened.

There is no single point for plugging in such a filter.  If you're
looking for a 'pluggable' postprocessor framework, the answer is no;
however, Zope's architecture is reasonably understandable with some
spare time, the mailing list, and a good understanding of python, and
it's all open source, so what you're asking is certainly possible.

> 2) Is Zope limited to dynamic page generation/caching/serving?  What
> about having static pregenerated pages instead?  If positive, where can
> I find an example?  By "pregenerated" pages I mean "cook once, serve
> many times" static pages pushed to a standard httpd.

I'm not sure what the difference between a "pregenerated" page and a
cached page is.  Zope has a good caching framework, which can play
nicely with HTTP proxies as well as RAM caching.  There are products
which allow you to serve things off the filesystem.  It's also trivial
to combine Zope with, say, squid and apache, and cook your own
solution.  For example:

  http://www.zope.org/Members/mwr/VHosts_With_Zope_Default

HTH

seb