[Zope] Taking Ownership Oddity

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:59:21 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Gustav Franzsen wrote:

> I have a User with Roles Owner and Manager in root.
> The "Take Ownership" permission is set for Owner and Manager in root.
> When this User imports a FOOproduct.zexp and FOOapp.zexp into the
> application, he gets ownership of everything, except a specific few methods
> (Python Scripts) at a specific class.
> I cannot see anything different (permissions, for instance) between this
> class and the other classes where ownership does transfer/change.
> I have checked the mailing lists, how to's and Zope Book, but don't get
> anything (at least that's obvious to me) pointing towards what I'm doing
> wrong.
> I can go to each of the "misbehaving methods" and take ownership, but don't
> want to have to do that with every upgrade!

There's a bug in Zope 2.3.x regarding the method which changes ownership.

This bug prevents Zope from changing ownership recursively if you already
own a branch, e.g.:

	FolderA
	|-- FolderB
            |--FolderC

If you don't own FolderC, but you own FolderB, then calling the change
ownership method recursively on FolderA will stop on FolderB because you
already own it. Of course you still don't own FolderC but it seems that ZC
people don't care.

It's possible this bug is still there in 2.4, I've not verified.

I've already submitted the one-line patch both to the defunct Collector
and IIRC to this list, as well as to zope-dev@zope.org, but to no avail,
so I'm sorry but you'll understand that I don't plan to submit it again.

Jerome Alet