[Zope] Zope WebRing and Software Component MarketPlace

lozinski@jobmart.com lozinski@jobmart.com
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 10:08:41 -0700 (PDT)

First let me report that there are now 10 members on the Python and Zope
WebRing.

www.ringsurf.com/netring?ring=PythonAndZope;action=list

I am amazed at how fast this ring is growing.  The energy in the python and zope
community is just wonderful.  Compared to my Mac OS X webring, there is real
fire in this community.

What is missing?  Well I would love to see a market for software components.
Open Source is great, but I love to get supported software products with a
person I can call who is motivated to fix the problem as part of the purchase
price I paid.  Is anyone selling software components in Zope or Python?
Would anyone like to buy such components?

Let me put this topic in perspective.  I see huge amounts of software work being
shipped off to massive companies in India.  The way for the US to compete is to
create a vibrant market in software components, each owned by its developer, so
that large projects can be delivered by assembling existing components, thus
outperforming the offshore development companies.

Let me know what you think.  I hope to start a discussion thread on this topic.

Regards
Chris

1-510-795-6086
lozinski@openstepnews.com