[Zope] Data.fs 2GB problem ...

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
17 Oct 2001 17:52:12 -0600

On Thu, 2001-10-11 at 11:19, sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:
> I don't think that is the case under Linux with a 64-bit userspace.  Someone
> on this list (Bill?) had indicated it worked to have large files on ext2
> under 64 bit architectures.

Correct on both accounts.

> Sadly, that excludes UltraSPARC, because its
> user-space is still 32 bit, but I guess this limitation doesn't exist on
> Alpha, Itanium, or PA-RISC, but you may still need a 2.4 kernel for Itanium
> if you are to use that as a platform.

Well, not all PA-RISC is running a 64 bit OS. I am not 100% sure, but I
do believe that you can't have less than a 2.4.0 kernel on IA64. IIRC,
support for that arch went into 2.4, and not 2.2. I could be wrong, it
has been a while since I've run on an IA64.

> Next year, my company is likely to migrate our ZEO Storage Servers to an
> intel architecture from Linux/Sparc, and will likely use ReiserFS at that
> time, since it has been in the mainsteam 2.4.1+ kernels, and is reported to
> be stable on IA32...

Personally, I'd recommend XFS over ReiserFS.