[Zope] Re: [Zope-Annce] Zope Controller GUI Windows 1.0 release

Richard Jones richard@bizarsoftware.com.au
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:59:23 +1000

On Thursday 18 October 2001 13:41, Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:
> Le Jeudi 18 Octobre 2001 01:31, Richard Jones a =E9crit :
> > On Thursday 18 October 2001 06:08, Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:
> > > Great, thank you but why is your tool only available on windows and=
 not
> > > also on other OSes as ZOPE itself is ?
> >
> > It is also available for Mac OSX - has been for much longer than Wind=
ows.
> > As for other platforms - they're not nearly as high a priority for us.
> > And make no mistake - this GUI wouldn't exist if we didn't have a nee=
d to
> > make the Zope experience more user-friendly for our Windows and Mac O=
SX
> > customers. We've found that our Linux/FreeBSD customers are happy to =
use
> > command-line tools.
>
> But still, I bet many Unix zope users would love such a gui. As it work=
s on
> Mac OSX it should not be difficult to port to these Unices (Linux/FreeB=
SD
> and others)

Not so fast. Both the Windows and OSX GUIs have been developed in the nat=
ive=20
tongue. That is, on Windows, it's very much MFC and win32-specifc backend=
=20
code. On the Mac, it's Carbon with a POSIX backend. The POSIX backend cod=
e=20
could be transported to another Un*x with no problem, but the entire=20
front-end needs developing from the ground up.

We're currently in release hell (to paraphrase the film industry :), but =
once=20
we're through with that, a Linux GUI (based on a completely free toolkit=20
[*wah* can't use Qt :(]) is on the cards.

    Richard