[Zope] Re: [Zope-Annce] Zope Controller GUI Windows 1.0 release

Richard Jones richard@bizarsoftware.com.au
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:41:31 +1000

On Thursday 18 October 2001 14:21, kosh@aesaeion.com wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:
> > But still, I bet many Unix zope users would love such a gui. As it works
> > on Mac OSX it should not be difficult to port to these Unices
> > (Linux/FreeBSD and others)
>
> Actually the number interested is probably fairly low in percentage on the
> unices. Most of the zope servers I run do not have monitors on them at all
> or keyboards, mice etc. I ssh in remotely to do anything that needs doing
> and overall just using the command line tools is a lot faster overall for
> me. However it would seem if someone wanted a cross platform gui config
> for zope tkinter would be a good choice since it comes with python. I
> prefer wxPython or pyQT myself but tkinter would work.

Cross-platform is a possibility for the Unixes - but for windows and the mac,
the native toolkits are really the only way to go (and for windows, the win32
api is much better to use than the posix api used for the mac.)

We have concerns about licensing of the toolkits - as far as we can tell, we
wouldn't be able to use Qt (my favourite) because we bundle the app with our
commercial product. I haven't looked at wxPython recently, but I think last
time I looked it was a problem too.

    Richard