[Zope] How good is Zope?

Tom Deprez Tom Deprez" <tom.deprez@uz.kuleuven.ac.be
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:57:33 +0200

 I notice from the help files that Zope bills itself as an alternative to
PHP - can I integrate PHP into it or do I not need it if we have Python?

You don't need PHP. Python is a very nice, great, intuinitive scripting
language. So the calculations, etc you perform in PHP can be done with
'Python Scripts'.... or dtml or 'External methods'.
Zope also has a 'Perl method', which allows you to use Perl. There isn't a
'PHP method' as far as I know of.

> I've never programmed in Python, but it seems fairly straightforward and
not too removed from other scripting >languges.

My personal opinion: It is the nicest scripting language at the moment.

> My question really, I spose, before I dive in and start writing things, is
how good is Zope? Does it have any >obvious limitations?

Not that I know of at the moment. But I think every application has it's
pro's and con's it depends for what you really want to use it.

What's the support like?

Great. People on the mailing list are very helpfull. If you really need big
support, you can still hire a professional or contact zope.com and order a
certain support contract.

> I subscribed to this group about 12 hours ago and seem to have a healthy
number of messages, so it looks pretty well supported - is this 'cause Zope
is great, or are you all unfortunate victims that have somehow got locked in
and now can't get out?!!

No, I'm here because I like Zope . :-)

> Anyway, many thanks for any help!

My pleasure, I guess other users on this list can give better interesting
experiences.

Tom.