[Zope] getting the number of returned objects

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 15:21:42 -0400

Getting the number of results returned by a Catalog query is a thing
that folks commonly want to do, and usually just doing len(resultset)
works OK.  I'm surprised it didn't for you.

That said, it's an extremely expensive operation under some
circumstances because it un-lazifies the carefully-lazified Catalog
resultset, creating a brain object for each matching catalog record.  If
there's a way to not do this in your application, I'd recommend it.