[Zope] validating a field from records in a database

Robert Rottermann robert@redcor.ch
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 18:37:16 +0200

Hi,
Why don't you just create a unique ID on the server side?
Let the user add a part of the ID that must be readable, and then send it to
the server.

There you can use something like this:
import random, string
bad =' ()[]{}ÄÅÁÀÂÃäåáàâãÇçÉÈÊËéèêëæÍÌÎÏíìîïÑñÖÓÒÔÕØöóòôõøSsßÜÚÙÛüúùûÝYýÿ??'
good='_______AAAAAAaaaaaaCcEEEEeeeeeIIIIiiiiNnOOOOOOooooooSssUUUUuuuuYYyyZz'
TRANSMAP=string.maketrans(bad, good)

def makeId(anId):
  anId = string.translate(anId, TRANSMAP) + str(random.random() *
1000000000)
  return anId

If there is no special reason that you must have your user select an
absolutely uniqe id then I think this is the better approach.
If writing the function is beyond your means, I can send you a reddy to go
script. Just tell me

Robert