[Zope] Thanks (time for a new list)

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 19:36:06 +0100

On 21/10/01 5:37 pm, "Andrew Kenneth Milton" <akm@theinternet.com.au> wrote:

> Due to the sheer volume of personal attacks I have received from members
> of this list over the past three days, I find myself in somewhat of a
> predicament.
>
> These emails have been rather upsetting to me, and while I'm normally
> fairly thick skinned about such things, this has simply gone too far. I
> now find myself dreading reading my email, and that is unacceptable.
>
> I am bracing for a new round of the same once the digest goes out,
> hopefully the percentage of cowards is somewhat less in the digest
> userbase than the live userbase.
>
> I'm have unsubscribed from the mailing lists, and therefore I guess I
> invalidate my previous request for a new one.
>
> Thanks it's been fun.

Andrew,
I thought your idea was a perfectly sensible and appropriate one. I hadn't
got around to emailing an "I support the call for a zope-hackers type list"
and it looks like I left it too late. Bugger (solidarity with our antipodean
brethren there! :)

The volume on the Zope list *is* large (2000+ messages per month) and this
makes it difficult to manage properly. Certainly I find it difficult to
reply to any but the most desperate and well-directed post (check the
archives, I used to ;).

I was certainly looking forward to joining a zope-hackers list where some of
the more esoteric aspects of Zope would be discussed, for example ZEO and
CST setups, which would certainly *not* be the easiest thing to get your
head around for most of the subscribers of the Zope list. This kind of stuff
has got shifted onto Zope-dev, which (as I understand it) is supposed to be
for discussion of changes to the Zope core itself.

>From my POV, the main Zope list is fine for people wanting to know if Zope
can do the job they have at hand (witness the *excellent* post by Sean about
squid and multiple zopes) as well as those people getting to grips with
ZopeZen such as acquisition and object publishing or the powerful
permissions system. It's also ideal for posting snippets of DTML, and the
quick "stuff in double quotes is python" post.

Therefore, it seems to me that there certainly *is* some ground for people
to discuss using zope in non-trivial setups and situations.

Hope you resubscribe soon,
Tone.
--
Dr Tony McDonald,  Assistant Director, FMCC, http://www.fmcc.org.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 243 6140