[Zope] Threading, dtml and performance?!

Oliver Erlewein oerlewein@gmx.de
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 16:20:09 +0200 (MEST)

Hi everybody

Try this from the root Folder:

<dtml-var standard_html_header>
<dtml-in
"[1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1]">
 <dtml-in "ZopeFind(this(), '', '', '', '', '' , '', '', '', 1)"
sort=bobobase_modification_time reverse>
  <dtml-var bobobase_modification_time>, <dtml-var id><br>
 </dtml-in>
</dtml-in>
<dtml-var standard_html_footer>

This should take a while to show. If not try more 1,1,1,....! If I call
another page on a second browser window on the same Zope-site the response is
generated after the above script is completed. This would mean that the script
hoggs all threads.

If this behaviour is "normal" the I wonder how big sites run with an
adequate performance?! Of course ZEO would probably be a solution but that would be
very expensive in hardware and administration. I can't believe that Zope is
so "singletheaded". Therefore I'm interested if somebody can verify this. I
run under Solaris but I suppose that the behaviour should be similar on all
platforms (Zope 2.4.x). Please don't run this on a production system!

Thanx Oliver

http://www.gmx.net