[Zope] A new list needed?

Paul Winkler slinkp23@yahoo.com
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:00:48 -0400

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 12:09:40PM +0400, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 05:04:52PM -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > >    NO PLEASE!!!!! We have enough spam already, we don't need more spam in a
> > > newsgroups.
> >
> > You'd rather have 200+ messages a day dumped into your inbox when you
> > only care about a few of them? Yuck. If there were newsgroups I'd
> > unsub from this list in a minute.
>
>    That's bad. First, I am really interesting in most of these messages -
> there are many hidden treasure I obtained by reading all of them.

I agree. I read as many messages as I can when I have time. I rarely
have the time.

>    Second, it seems you are trying to make the lists work for you without
> working for the lists. You want us to answer your questions, but you don't
> want to answer our questions.

That is an unfounded accusation. In the past month, I have answered at
least 11 questions on this list and zope-cmf, and only asked one on
zope-cmf that I can find. I would continue to answer questions in a
newsgroup. I answer newbie questions on comp.lang.python quite
often. And since I personally find the newsgroup interface easier to
use, it is my contention that the quality of my participation would
_increase_ if there were a newsgroup interface.

I've said it before, I'll say it again... We can all be satisfied if
there are multiple interfaces to the same content.  comp.lang.python
and the python mailing list are an excellent example. Some people read
it as mail, some people read it as news; we all get the same
stuff. Spam levels there are very low, signal-to-noise ratio is very
high, even with much higher traffic than the zope lists.

--

paul winkler
home:  http://www.slinkp.com