[Zope] [ADVANCED] How do YOU guys do many-to-many in Zope without relational?

Max M maxmcorp@worldonline.dk
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 23:30:40 +0200

> From: zope-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-admin@zope.org]On Behalf Of seb
> bacon

> This is what the ZCatalog is for:
>
> For example, have a property for students which is a list of subject
> ids.  This makes it easy to list subjects by students.  Now if you
> make this property be an index on the ZCatalog, you can easily
> retrieve all students by subject, too.

The problem with that approach is that every id mus be unique all over the
site. And that is not feasible.

I would also need to save information about the objects path to make shure
it is the correct object.

folder1/
    subject1
    subject2
folder2/
    subject1
    subject3

student1
    subjects = [subject1, subject2]

In this case there is no way to know which "subject1" is the right one.

That I could avoid by using this organisation:

subjects/
    subject1
    subject2
    subject3
students/
    student1
        subjects = [subject1, subject2]

Regards Max M

Max M. W. Rasmussen,    Denmark.   New Media Director
private: maxmcorp@worldonline.dk work: maxm@normik.dk
Shipping software is an unnatural act