[Zope] Mixing Open Source licenses

Bruno BORGHI bruno.borghi@akeirou.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 17:35:14 +0200

Hello,

Is there any documentation somewhere on the impact of the mixing of
licenses between ZPL and GPL, for a Zope site ?

For instance, suppose I develop for a customer a business application
with Zope (ZPL) and MetaPublisher (MPL - Mozilla) , and that a very
independant part of the application is just having Zwikis (GPL) for
ordinar use without modification. What does apply to my application
itself ?
My understanding is that my application is not GPLed if it does not rely
specifically on a GPL module. Do you agree ?

And what about GPL Python modules ? Python being an interpreted
language, what is the impact of a GPL python module over the general
license issue ?
More. MySQLdb has a choice of license between GPL and the original
license based on Python 1.5.2's license. It has a C module _mysql.c that
is linked with the Python executable. What would be the status of my
application using Zope and  MySQLdb,  if the only choice was GPL for
_mysql.c ?

Although it is not of paramount importance, this license issue worry
customers for which we develop applications, even if they do not plan to
redistribute the application. I would like to give an answer that is
generally accepted in the Zope community.

Thanks,
Bruno Borghi
http://www.akeirou.com